29 February 2012

Davy Jones...RIP

In high school I had a list of people I had to meet before I died, or got really, really old, you know, like 25 or something. Of course my list at that time started with every member of Duran Duran, Depeche Mode and Spandau Ballet, but at the top of my list was the man who started it all for me, who began my obsession with everything English and music and brown haired, brown eyed cuties...Davy Jones. In the summer of 1988 my dream was realised when I met Mickey Dolenz and Davy Jones. I nearly passed out when I was face-to-face (literally as we were the same exact height of just five foot nothing) with DAVY JONES, out of all the people on my list that I had to meet he was the one I nearly passed out over. Since then I've met everyone on that list (excepting Andy Taylor but I WILL meet him one day), but it's Davy's autograph I keep safe, it's his I treasure most.

I remember, vague as the memory is, being 4 years old and hearing Davy Jones speak and realising for the first time that some people speak with an accent. I asked my grandpa (world knowledge holder that he was :oD) why Davy spoke different and learned that there was an entire country who spoke like him and I was hooked. Since that day I became obsessed with everything English. I never missed an episode of The Monkees, even though by this time they were in syndication, and I memorised all the lyrics to all their songs. Yes, at that young of an age. I fell in love with music. I fell in love with Davy Jones and I fell in love with England.

Today upon hearing that Davy passed away the tears didn't come immediately. No, at first I was just numb. How could one of my "boys" be gone? That's absurd, don't fuck with me like that 'cos it's so not funny. I'd be devastated to hear that one of my "boys" was gone. Blah, blah, blah. So of course I went online and yeap, there it was, the announcement that my Davy was gone. It's still surreal...the world no longer had Davy Jones from the Monkees in it. He's gone. How can that be? I cannot wrap my brain around this and I'm not sure I want to. My heart hurts, he's the same bloody age as my mum for fucks sake so how is it he's dead? Just utterly ridiculous that he's gone. I mean really. And I can't help but think that if I'm this devastated to lose Davy how the hell would it be to lose.....well I'm so not even going there.

No comments:

Post a Comment